Monday, January 02, 2006

Short (work in progress)

Scene 1: Rebecca's childhood bedroom. Pink furniture, curtains, and carpet. She doesn't live her anymore, has outgrown this room.

Rebecca, in her twenties, is wearing a hooded sweatshirt and jeans. She sits with her knees pulled up to her chest. Her hair is pulled back in a ponytail and she's on the phone in the middle of an argument, crying.

Rebecca:

Evan, you can't mean that. Well fine then, why have I been wasting my time for the last two years? He says something and Rebecca looks frustrated, holding in a sob. Go to hell. I'll find someone who wants me. She slams down the phone angrily, thinks for a minute and then starts to dial again.

Rebecca softly, almost seductively:

Hey there. I need you. Can I come over? We had a terrible fight-the worst one yet. I think it's really over. Beat. Just let me change. On that, she hangs up and pulls out the ponytail, shaking out her hair. She strips off her sweatshirt and has on a form-fitting tank top underneath. She slips on sneakers, rubs her eyes and applies some make-up. She flips off the light and the door slams.

Scene 2: Jon's parents' kitchen. Empty beer bottles, overflowing garbage, dishes piled in the sink. Cigarette butts stuffed into the ashtray on the kitchen table. A half-full bottle of Tequila in the middle of the mess

Jon, an attractive guy in his twenties gets up to answer the knock at the door and leads Rebecca into the kitchen. Around the table sits Pete, Jon's brother, very good-looking and a bit older. He is smoking a cigarette and consoling Dylan, a tall guy nearing 30. He looks tired and upset.

Pete, with a lisp and a flick of the wrist:

Women are shit. That's why I fuck men. Anyway, we always new Krista was a crazy bitch. The divorce was a long-time coming. She screwed around with your drug dealer. I mean, she probably didn't even want to get laid, she just wanted to get her meds for free.

Dylan, trying to be light-hearted:

I guess Prozac doesn't decrease your libido after all. He looks up as Rebecca sits down next to him, smiles, and lights the joint that balances on the ashtray. Passing her a shot glass he says darkly, Welcome to hell.

Jon sits down on the other side of Rebecca and fills her shot glass with Jose Cuervo whispering: His wife cheated on him with his friend and they're getting a divorce. On that, Rebecca does the shot and holds out the glass to Dylan, smiling.

Rebecca:

Got any more of that stuff?

Dylan:

I love a woman who can keep up with me, want a drag?

Pete, excitedly:

Oh My God! You two should totally talk! You're both miserable! His wife just fucked him over and her boyfriend doesn't want to get married. It's perfect!

Jon:

Well, I'm gonna go to bed now. You all have fun. Looks at Rebecca… And be careful.

Rebecca, her speech starting to slur as Dylan fills her third shot:

If I were you, I wouldn't go to bed. We all know how I get when I drink and do you really want to be sleeping when the fun starts?

Dylan:

By the way, I'm Dylan.

Rebecca:

I know. I've been around this house long enough to have seen you. You never noticed me back then.

Dylan:

I must have been a fool.

Rebecca:

I think you were on drugs.

Jon:

Beck, you know where my room is if you want me.

Dylan to Rebecca:

Oh, you and Jon?

Jon:

A LONG time ago…kind of off and on.

Rebecca:

When was the last time we were “on”?

Dylan interrupting:

So are you going upstairs with him or are you gonna stay here with us and do more shots?

Rebecca:

Jon, I'll be up in a little while. She shoots her Tequila and Dylan immediately refills her glass.

Jon looks disappointed and walks out as he murmurs:

Welcome to hell.

Pete looks after Jon and then at Dylan, as if he knows all too well what's going to happen and whispers to his friend so Rebecca can't hear:

She's my brother's first love; you can fuck her, just not in my house.

Scene 3: Dylan's apartment, a studio with no furniture except for a queen-sized bed. Rebecca is sitting on the bed with her shoes off. Dylan is looking out the window, smoking a cigarette. The sun is starting to come up. They're in the middle of a conversation.

Rebecca:

It's been such a long time since I've been touched. Evan, my ex now I guess, he didn't want to hold me. I mean, we live…lived together and we shared a bed and he never wanted to…she starts to cry. I get this way when I drink too much. I'm sorry Dylan.

Dylan:

Whatever, it's cool. Relationships suck. One-night stands are the way to go….trying to cover…I mean, well…I like a night of reckless abandon. You don't get sucked in that way. You know why you're both there and what's going to happen. Both of you agree…right?

Rebecca:

Well yeah, I kind of understand what you're saying. I've never had a one-night stand. I've hooked up with guys at bars and stuff, but never gone home with them.

Dylan, changing the mood:

Rebecca, I don't know why your asshole ex-boyfriend wouldn't want to touch you. You're extremely sexy. Beautiful. He's a loser.

Rebecca, sniffling:

Thanks, I needed that. Beat. You know, growing up with Jon and everything-I always used to see you at that house. You and Pete intimidated me; You were so cool and scary. You were so much older it seemed…and attractive. I think Pete's hair was blue. He laughs as she says this, remembering.

Dylan:

Wow, we were heavily into drugs back then. That was a long time ago. So you've known that family for that long? That was like, 8 years ago! I can't understand why I don't remember you.

Rebecca, softly:

I guess I'm just forgettable.

Dylan:

Rebecca, that's insane.

He walks over to her from the window and sits down next to her on the bed. The room is dark, with a tiny light coming from outside. She holds his shoulders and he traces her face with his fingers. She shivers visibly.

Rebecca:

Dylan, you smell so good.

Dylan:

God, I want you.

He cups her chin and lifts her face up to his. They kiss passionately, breathing heavily and lie down on the bed. Dylan's on top of her, his hands on her body. Their silhouettes are undressing each other and they slide under the blanket. He runs his fingers through her hair.

Dylan:

You really are beautiful. Evan has no idea what he lost.

Empowered and energetic, Rebecca kisses Dylan, and rhythmically, they begin to move together.

Scene 4: Late morning, Dylan looks at the clock.

Dylan:

Shit, I have to go to work!

Rebecca, barely awake:

Hmm? Remembering last night, holds her head. Oh, it's pounding.

Dylan:

Here, take two of these. He throws a bottle of pills on the bed. I have to go be at work in an hour.

Rebecca:

Um, can you drive me back to Jon's…I think I left my jacket there, not to mention my car.

Dylan:

Yeah, sure. But we need to leave NOW. Beat. Do you think he'll care?

Rebecca, considering this:

He'll be hurt. He really wanted me to come upstairs last night.

Dylan, confused:

Well, I meant your ex…You really think Jon will be upset about this? I didn't think you two had anything goin' on. I mean you were talking marriage with some other guy.

Rebecca:

Oh, Evan! I don't think I'll say anything. I mean, he doesn't want to marry me so why should I say that I technically cheated on him? Realizing what she's just said…Oh my God Dylan! You're MARRIED! I just slept with a married man! And oh my God! I have a boyfriend!

Dylan:

Once your wife fucks your friend, all bets are off. By law, I guess she's still my wife. To me, she's a crazy whore. Attempting to change the mood, he leans over to her. Listen…

Rebecca, interrupts him:

I know, a one-night stand. We both knew what was going to happen and why we came back here.

Dylan:

Well, actually I was going to ask if you wanted to get dinner or something later. But if it was just a one-time thing, that's fine too. He appears to be genuinely hurt by her comment.

Rebecca seems surprised and doesn't know what to respond:

Well, I don't think I'm ready for anything…

Dylan:

I don't mean anything serious. Just dinner. You need to eat right? Let me take you out. Or, do you need to go back to him?

Rebecca:

Well, at some point I have to pick up my stuff, I guess. But yeah, dinner sounds good.

If we need to leave, I need to get dressed. She gets up and finds her way to the bathroom with last night's clothes in a pile.

Scene 5: Dylan's car outside Jon's house

Rebecca:

Shit. My jacket's on the sidewalk. This is going to be harder than I thought. I thought he'd understand. I couldn't be with someone who knew me, you know? Shouldn't he get that?

Dylan:

He's sensitive, huh?

Rebecca:

Like a woman. Beat. He must be really pissed off.

Dylan:

He'll get over it.

Rebecca sighs:

I don't know about that. I did just sleep with his brother's married best friend after turning him down.

Dylan:

It'll be okay. He ruffles her hair. And she shivers visibly again. So I'll call you later and we'll figure out a plan?

Rebecca:

Sounds good. Can you not tell Pete? I realize he probably knows, but just don't make a big deal out of it, okay?

Dylan:

He gave me permission.

Rebecca, in disbelief:

What?! He did what?

Dylan:

He said it was okay, as long as it wasn't here, at their house.

Rebecca:

How could he think I would ever do something in their house? They're like my family.

Dylan shrugs.

Rebecca:

Whatever, it's not like Jon and I were ever going to live happily ever after anyway. We have too much shit. Relationships suck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home